Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Smokey Mountains

We went hiking in the Smokey Mountains this past weekend. We hiked the Clingman's Dome to Siler's Bald and back. It's a distance of about 10 miles total. One of our hiking books (at which I am very angry) said the hike was "easy" and the other said it was "moderate." I would call it moderate to difficult. However, it was enjoyable. Most of the trail was a portion of the Appalachian trail (AT). I will just mention that a 25 pound baby gets very heavy during a hike. Phil carried him 7 miles and I carried him 3. It's not really a fair split of distance, but man am I glad we didn't have to do a fair split.

S had a really great time though. In the parking lot he stamped his little feet and cried so we would put him in the backpack for hiking. Here's a picture of him and Phil at the AT shelter (which I thought was pretty fancy).
P6135641

And here is one of our views.
On the hike

And here's part of the trail.
More trail

Finally, here's my favorite picture from the hike. I used my zoom lens.
Bee

1 comment:

Craftlover said...

I love the shot for the mountains (very beautiful) and the last picture of the bee...! :)