Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hospitalization

I was hospitalized a few weeks ago for dehydration. I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and vomiting and when it didn't get better and I couldn't keep anything down we went in to the emergency department.
In retrospect it was kind of entertaining because in triage they asked if I had called labor and delivery (and no, I had not, I wasn't in labor). So they called labor and delivery who didn't seem to want me, then the ED attending who also didn't seem to want me, and finally labor and delivery again. I ended up in labor and delivery so the baby could be monitored (he was perfectly fine the whole time).
I had an IV for fluids and then anti-emetic drugs.
I won't say it was a fun experience and I didn't eat normally for about a week, but it was pretty reassuring. My OB was on-call and the nurses were very nice. It was kind of like a labor dry-run. Now we've tested how to get there, we were reminded to call first, and we've used one of the rooms.
Still, I don't suggest it for anyone.

No comments: