Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Childbirth Class

Last night's class was all about interventions during birth. We learned about induction, medications given during birth (epidurals, analgesics, etc), and episiotomies. Then because of a conflict next week we went ahead and did cesarean sections (emergency and "planned"). I don't know that I have a lot to share about these. I don't think anyone really wants to have to worry about these things, there's a lot of trust placed in your OB.

These things were all informative, but they made me realize I don't really want any drugs during labor and delivery if I can help it. Each drug choice just forced more drugs to control for side-effects for the first one. But this could be because of the labor and delivery concept, labor doesn't worry me, delivery does (I can't say why really). I'm still doing my best not to think about it, mainly because there's nothing I can do to change it.

After all this we toured labor and delivery and saw the delivery rooms and post-partum rooms (and of course the nursery). Every room is private and you can control your lights and temperature (which for some reason I fixated on as a great idea). They look nice, but I'm sure I'll be tired of them when the time comes.

No comments: